A while ago I attended a meeting of Wye Surgery’s patient participation group (PPG) and we discussed the possibility of getting something health-related into the Neighbourhood Plan.
Since then there has been further discussion at the PPG and this is a list of ideas put forward by members of the group:
- A cottage hospital, dealing with minor injuries and to provide intermediate care, including rehabilitation between hospital and home; and respite care.
- A day centre for care and to provide people with company and reasons for living. This should embrace mixed age needs, not exclusively for the elderly (though the elderly, especially those living alone, tend to require more opportunities for socialising and eating healthy meals and having minor treatments such as foot care, hair and hand care). Appropriate exercise could also be valuable.
- A volunteer bureau to assist those willing to help others to find work which they could do and enjoy, in a day centre or in other capacities such as helping the housebound etc.
- More clinics at the surgery, such as chiropody, dermatology and ophthalmology
- A transport service
- A working group to consider these and other options and to work out what is achievable and how it is to be achieved.
Looks like a good list to me!
If anyone has anything to add, please contact me through the blog and I’ll make sure it’s sent to the group for possible inclusion.